This program includes information about dementia, changes and communication; it also incorporates discussion about the loss and grief associated with becoming a carer. We talk about how to create an environment to facilitate the caring role, as well as maintaining and getting support as a carer. We aim to help you come up with solutions.
- The chance to meet other men who are caring for someone with dementia.
- EDIE: an immersive experience to ‘walk in the shoes’ of the person with dementia and develop an understanding of how and why the person changes in the way they do.
- Learn skills to manage the changes in behaviour and abilities of the person with dementia.
- Explore avenues for supports including family, friends and community services.
- Discuss the impact of dementia on your relationship and your sense of self. We will explore the experience of grief and loss, when someone close to you is living with dementia.
- Formulate a plan to cope better.
This program is suitable for: Male carers who want to reflect on their new role and relationship with their family member living with dementia, who can participate in a 4 week group program.
Program Format: The program is offered as a small group session where you will be encouraged to share your experiences and listen to and support others.
Session dates: Friday 9, 16, and 30 November and 7 December 2018
Session times: 10:30am - 1:30pm
Catering: Morning tea and light lunch provided
Bookings are essential as places are limited. Please contact Lisa Reed on 1300 526 576 or book online here